9. Delicious and Easy to Include in Your Diet
This last one is not a health benefit, yet it is still important. Not only are beets nutritious, but they are also incredibly delicious and easy to incorporate into your diet. Beets can be juiced, roasted, steamed or pickled. Also, they can be bought precooked and canned for convenience.
Choose beets that are heavy for their size with fresh, unwilted green leafy tops still attached. Dietary nitrates are water soluble, so it is best to avoid boiling beets to maximize their nitrate content.
Here are some delicious and interesting ways to add more beets to your diet:
- Beetroot salad: Grated beets make a flavorful and colorful addition to coleslaw, or try this recipe for a delicious roasted beetroot and goat cheese salad.
- Beetroot dip: Beets blended with Greek yogurt make a delicious and healthy dip like in this recipe.
- Beetroot juice: Fresh beetroot juice is best, as store-bought juice can be high in added sugars and may only contain a small amount of beets. Juicing fresh beets with citrus and ginger, such as in this recipe, makes a tasty juice.
- Beetroot patties: For a meat-free alternative to burger patties, try this recipe for beetroot and bean patties that are healthy and easy to make.
- Beetroot leaves: Beet leaves can be cooked and enjoyed like spinach in recipes like this one, so don’t throw them out.
Summary: Beetroot is a delicious and versatile vegetable that is easy to add to your diet. Choose beets that are heavy for their size with green tops still attached.
The Bottom Line
Beets provide some impressive health benefits. Not to mention, they are low in calories and a great source of nutrients, including fiber, folate and vitamin C. Beets also contain nitrates and pigments that may help lower blood pressure and improve athletic performance.
Lastly, beets are delicious and versatile, fitting well into a healthy and balanced diet.