Does the consumption of garlic work in treating acne?
Consuming garlic will work as an effective remedy for curing acne from the inside. It strengthens the immune system, deals with the root cause of acne to prevent it completely. It is advisable to take three cloves of garlic once daily for a month to clear this problem or you can add it to your dishes, dips or juices.
Can Garlic Treat Acne Scars?
In most of the cases, acne leaves a scar behind. These scars will appear as blotches or hollow areas of the skin. Garlic is helpful in reducing the appearance of acne scars. Let’s have a look at its properties…
- It has anti-oxidants which help to prevent free radicals that leave scars on the skin.
- It has sulphur, zinc, calcium, vitamin E which helps for proper skin tissue formation by clearing the old and dead skin cells.
- It enhances blood circulation which helps regenerating new skin cells for proper pH balance of the skin.
How to Use Garlic for Acne Scars? Here is how…
1. Garlic with Olive Oil and Honey
Garlic exfoliates the dead skin cells and removes the top layer of the scarred tissues. It also removes any bacteria or excess oil on the skin.
- Wash the face with mild cleanser and warm water. Pat dry.
- Grate 2 garlic cloves and mix it with water.
- Apply the mixture on the acne affected areas of the skin.
- Massage it gently for few minutes.
- Wash with warm water after 5 minutes.
- Crush 2 more garlic cloves and add 2 teaspoons of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of honey.
- Mix well and apply on the acne affected skin areas.
- Leave it on for 20 – 25 minutes before washing off with warm water.
- Rinse it immediately if you get a stinging sensation.
- Finally, apply aloe vera to avoid the aggravation of acne while moisturizing and hydrating the skin.
- Repeat the process regularly.
2. Boiled Garlic
This process works well for people with sensitive skin. As the boiled garlic is not as strong as raw, it doesn’t caused any irritation.
- Crush 4 – 5 cloves of peeled raw garlic with a mallet.
- Pour 250 ml of water into a pan and place on the heat.
- Bring it to boil and add the crushed garlic.
- Simmer the mixture for about 30 – 35 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and allow it to cool for a few minutes.
- Apply the solution on the entire face.
- Let it sit for few minutes to dry.
- Wash it off with water and pat dry. Apply any moisturizer that doesn’t clog the pores.
- Repeat the process regularly.
Tips and Precautions:
- Make sure to dilute the garlic or its juice with other substance like rose water or water to prevent the burning or stinging sensation on the applied skin.
- Never leave the garlic application for a long time as it can cause blisters.
- It’s always better to use fresh garlic rather than stored garlic as it contains more anti – oxidants.
- Possible side effects of garlic consumption are nausea, bad breath, skin irritation, vomiting, burning sensation in mouth, etc. so do a trial run first.
- Add garlic cloves into your favorite dinner recipes to get a delicious taste and to prevent acne breakouts.
- Those suffering from acne rosacea might experience few rosacea symptoms after eating garlic. Because garlic is a trigger.
- It has blood thinning properties which may cause bleeding problems. Pregnant women and people who have had surgery should avoid or limit this garlic usage. Also people who are on certain medications are strictly advised not to eat garlic in large amounts.
- To reduce the garlic smell, use it with honey or lemon, or soak the cloves in milk for at least an hour before consumption.
- To avoid bad breath, brush your teeth after eating garlic cloves.
- Even after trying garlic methods, if your skin doesn’t show signs of clearing up after 10 days, consult a dermatologist.
As with any other acne treatment, garlic will be most effective when combined with a healthy diet and proper hygiene. Avoid excess sugar and carbohydrates, and eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables.