Tips to Reduce the Hemorrhoids
These tips can stop the hemorrhoids from getting worse and relieves symptoms.
- Gently blot the anus with white toilet paper moistened with water or a cleansing agent (like Balneol) after each bowel movement, baby wipes can also be used.
- Rinse or clean yourself in the shower rather than using toilet paper.
- Use soaps that don’t contain perfumes or dyes.
- Take some non-prescription pain relievers to reduce the pain and swelling.
- Apply ice followed by a warm compress several times a day.
- Have a warm bath.
- Make sure that not to sit or stand for a long time when hemorrhoids are irritated. Also avoid lifting heavy objects.
- Always wear cotton underwear to prevent the moisture build-up. Also wear loose clothing to reduce the pressure on the anal area.
- Resting on your side or stomach can help to reduce the swelling of hemorrhoids. If you’re pregnant, you have to find it helpful to lie on your side. If you’re not pregnant, then sleeping on your stomach with a pillow under the hips to reduce the swelling of hemorrhoids.
- Straining or holding the breath when trying to pass a stool puts greater pressure on the veins in the lower rectum.
- Do not wait to pass a bowl movement.
- Staying active will help to prevent the constipation and reduce the pressure on veins.
- Sit on a doughnut shaped cushion and have short walking breaks if you have to sit for a long time.
- Have balanced diet everyday to strengthen your immune system.
- Eat vitamin C rich fruits and vegetable (foods like lemons, oranges, broccoli, etc.) to strengthen and tone blood vessels.
If symptoms do not ease in a week, consult a doctor.